Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Base for derivatives
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:29:51 +0200
Torsdag den 24. juni 2010 13:58:35 skrev Pavol Rusnak:
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/Documents/Strategy/Derivatives

openSUSE - Base for derivatives

I think this strategy has some serious fundamental flaws.

* Very few people are interested in making derivatives. Both in general and
within our existing community. While we can't (and shouldn't try to) make
*everyone* happy, the strategy at least should avoid alienating too many
existing contributors.

I'd hate the thought of going to a lug meeting and a guy asks "Why openSUSE?"
and I'd have to say "Oh, it's specialized in being a great base for
derivatives and appliances".

* Even if openSUSE was objectively, technically the best distro for making
derivatives, I think noone would care if it wasn't also the best general
purpose distro for them. I think most people will tend to choose their own
preferred everyday distro for their derivatives - because this is what they
know and what they can support etc.

* Even if derivative makers would choose openSUSE, I doubt they would
contribute much. I think a derivative maker will not ask "what can I do for
openSUSE?" but only "what can openSUSE do for me?".

* If some big succesful derivative should come into existence, then the
derivative would get all the hype - not openSUSE.

Being a good base for derivatives might be a good sub-strategy, but it's not a
good main focus for the project.