Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: another proposal
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:11:40 +0200
Oddball wrote:

jdd schreef:
Le 21/06/2010 16:36, Oddball a écrit :

# Going out of our way to support old hardware and non-mainstream
architectures

I don't agree with this one. Most of the world use daily such
computers. Not any body is rich as US/european people

He sais we are going not to: going out of our way..

do you mean we have to support old hardware. If so say this clearly
:-))))

jdd

He has to confirm himself, but if,

The question would be: what is old, and the answer would from PIV
upwards. Personaly i know it will be difficult without hal and sax2...
I know that it is still possible with the right amount of swap and
ram, these old PIII and AMD K08 machines can 'walk', not 'run'...
with oS 11.1/11.2, so a line must be drawn... i think even
underdeveloped countries use above PIII level now, or in near
future.... but, i might be wrong...

I think you're somewhat wrong - despite being 8-9 years old, a quad PIII
Xeon does a very good job as a database machine, also today. Such a
machine is clearly overdue for replacement, but that might mean
investing EUR10K without getting any measurable benefits. For desktop
machines it's a different story, no doubt.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.9°C)