Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Home for developers
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <guido+opensuse.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:19:27 +0200
* Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-06-21 10:32]:
On 06/21/2010 10:28 AM, Martin Schlander wrote:
Developers also do other things with their computers than writing code.
Even
if openSUSE had all the development tools perfectly packaged and ready to
go,
developers would never use openSUSE, unless it is _also_ a great OS for all
the other tasks they'll do on a desktop and server.

Applications related indirectly to development are for example desktop
environment, LAMP stack and so on ... so these WILL be in focus of this
strategy.

Any idea to make openSUSE a highly specialized appliance for a niche use
case
is a horrible idea.

That's why we are discussing these proposals. When we extend the
strategies with some valid points the strategy will not target only
niche use cases, but broader audience.

I think Martin hits the nail on the head, while I don't consider
any of the three proposals "niche cases" they inevitably imply
specialization and this in turn has the potential to alienate
both existing and potential new contributors and users.

Although I agree there has to be some direction for the whole
openSUSE project, this should IMO be kept much more general.
I'd rather propose that such strategies should be adopted by
respective teams diving the given objectives, i.e. the KDE team
could adopt the "KDE#1" strategy, the Mobile team could adopt the
"Mobile and cloud ready" strategy etc. The strategy for the
whole project should then be rather general and encompassing
superset of these. Note that I'm not talking about providing a
base of specialized derivative distributions but a single
coherent project uniting different subprojects.

--
Guido Berhoerster