[opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Home for developers
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:05:01 +0200
Hi all!

As we promised earlier[1] starting today we'll be discussing the first
of strategies: Home for developers[2]. Please try to add your comments
to particular bulletpoints or sentences, so it is easier for us to merge
your suggestions into final form. Happy discussing!

[1] http://news.opensuse.org/2010/06/17/a-strategy-for-
the-opensuse-project-proposals-and-discussions/
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/Documents/Strategy/Development

----8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<----

openSUSE - Home for developers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.) Statement:

We deliver the most integrated platform for developers (e.g. web
developers, system developers, Qt/GTK developers, Android/MeeGo/WebOS
developers, etc.)

To be the ideal home for developers we deliver all popular open source
IDEs and related tools and the perfect desktops suited for them to
make the development efficient. Additionally we deliver a decent
server platform to allow direct deployment of web applications and
make rapid testing possible. By providing integration with social
networks and collaboration tools, we enable developers to work
flawlessly in a distributed environments and enable the usage of
agile techniques.

2.) Activities:

2.a.) We need to be excellent in the following:

* Out-of-box experience for all popular open source IDEs, integration
and development of related tools (graphical debugger, etc.)
* Provide tools to easily deploy developed software (e.g. server
integration, Build Service, etc.) more tightly coupled to tools
* Provide infrastructure to distribute software (e.g. Build Service,
SUSE Studio)
* Provide desktop environments fitting the needs of developers
* Cooperation with team projects to make openSUSE their
development platform of choice
* Deliver the most up-to-date development libraries to make app
development rock (also allow to keep multiple versions)
* Integrate social networks and collaboration tools
* Collaboration with other Linux distros

2.b.) We will try to do the following effectively:

* Provide GUI administration tools, including WebYaST
* Lobby for open standards
* Market openSUSE at events
* Continue testing and bugfixing in an efficient way

2.c.) As project, we will not focus on the following anymore:

* Applications not related to development (directly or indirectly)

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144 19000 Praha 9
prusnak[at]opensuse.org Czech Republic