[opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: another proposal
  • From: Marcus Moeller <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:46:48 +0200
Hi all.

As I did not take part in the strategy meeting, I want to add my proposal, here.

openSUSE - #1 KDE distribution

Statement

Most Linux distributions rely on a (more or less customized) GNOME
desktop as default environment. openSUSE's advantage has always been
the great KDE integration (and now even defaults to KDE in the desktop
environment selection dialog). We should focus on that and make
openSUSE the best KDE based desktop distribution available. This is
not meant to start another flamewar, nor to completely drop GNOME (of
course there still could be community supported Spins available),
it's just about our primary focus.

We need to be excellent in the following

* Create a visual unique desktop experience with KDE
* Adopt the latest KDE technology early, but care about stability
* Offer the best platform for QT/KDE AND Java developers
* Integrate MeeGo (focus on QT)
* Lobby for KDE

We will try to do the following effectively

* Deliver a build service for building distribution and applications
* Provide best desktop experiences with KDE and MeeGo (focus on QT)
* Integrate social service apps, bind to connect.openSUSE.org
* Bugfixing
* Testing
* Improving KDE upstream
* Collaboration with other Linux distros

As project, we will not focus on the following anymore

* other desktop environments

--
Greets
Marcus