[opensuse-project] openSUSE Strategy Discussion: Community Statement
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:34:40 +0200
http://en.opensuse.org/index.php?title=Documents/Strategy/Community contains
the following statement that we'd like to discuss and enhance as written in
the introductory email (http://news.opensuse.org/2010/06/17/a-strategy-for-
the-opensuse-project-proposals-and-discussions/),

Andreas

We are the openSUSE Community - a friendly, welcoming, vibrant, and active
community. This includes developers, testers, writers, translators, usability
experts, artists, promoters and everybody else who wishes to engage with the
project.

To grow the openSUSE Community, we will put contributors first and focus on
the following activities:

* Build a lively and active community
* Increase contributor visibility
* Attract contributions by empowering our community to influence and shape
the Project in all aspects
* Make contributing easy by eliminating or greatly reducing bureaucratic
obstacles and having great governance
* Market the Project

This includes the following activities in order to excel in our goals:

* Create tools that support community activities
* Establish the openSUSE Foundation
* Improve visibility through announcements, news, blogs, tweets, etc
* Give presentations about the Project
* Establish Events: Conference organization
* Emphasize the value of communication and recognize cultural diversity
within our community
* Foster governance discussions
* Mentor new contributors
* Praise contributors (Publicity, bounties, ...)

We will also do the following activities:

* Events: Attend shows, set up booths, have openSUSE Community rooms
* Raise funds for the Project through the openSUSE Foundation
* Helping new users and contributors
* Encourage technical discussions (via mailing lists and forums)
* Give presentations about the Project
* Publications, whitepapers, ... in journals
* Reaching multiplicators (journalists, key comm members, ...)
* Customer intelligence (Surveys, segmentation, update statistics, ...)

Note that we are very well aware that anything we do depends on the
willingness of our community to drive it and make it successful. The openSUSE
Community Board sees its leadership role in making coherent proposals and
driving community decisions -- not in just taking decisions on behalf of the
community.

Note that openSUSE has evolved from it's initial launch with little
participation to being now a real open source project. It has many sponsors
including Novell as main sponsor. The sponsors are part of the Project and
will support it in various ways but not control the project. openSUSE being an
open source project means that everybody in the community can contribute
equally to it in all aspects of the project and should not depend on any of
the sponsors doing everything.

We'd like to cite as well from the openSUSE Guiding Principles:

We value respect for other persons and their contributions, for
other opinions and beliefs. We listen to arguments and address
problems in a constructive and open way. We believe that a diverse
community based on mutual respect is the base for a creative and
productive environment enabling the project to be truly
successful. We don't tolerate social discrimination and aim at
creating an environment where people feel accepted and safe from
offense.

Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany