Re: [opensuse-project] independence
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <albert.passalacqua@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 13:06:09 -0500
2010/6/8 Trifle Menot <triflemenot@xxxxxxxxxx>:

If you know someone with the financial resources Novell is investing
in Linux and openSUSE, and with a lot of desire to sponsor openSUSE,
feel free to tell us however ;-)

What I'm telling you is that no one ever will, as long as Novell pays
for the power.

You have been proven wrong already.
The only reason I can see why sponsors do not contribute is fiscal,
since Novell is a company, and the contribution would not be subject
to special fiscal treatments. This hopefully will be fixed once the
foundation is in place, being it a non-profit organization.
This reason is however very far from having Novell involved or from
the existence of the Novell/Microsoft deal, which clearly is a point
you are misusing to support your ideas.

Debian exists without a primary sponsor. Maybe that leap is too big for
opensuse to make. But ask yourselves why.

I don't think openSUSE aims to be as Debian. The goals of the project
are different, as well as the target. These differences are part of
the reason why I use openSUSE and not Debian. I see a distribution
backed by a company with a strong expertise in the field as an
advantage, not as a problem. It has direct consequences on the
quality, the usability, the possibility of obtaining commercial
support, and, in the end, of sustainability of the project itself.

Best,