Re: [opensuse-project] independence
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:00:57 +0200
On Tuesday 08 June 2010 15:52:22 Trifle Menot wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 08:41:18 -0500, "Bryen M. Yunashko"

<suserocks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You say its time for openSUSE to not be a fetus and be born. I say its
time for us to move into adolescence. We were already born a few years
ago.

If Novell pulls the power plug, your project infrastructure immediately
collapses. The "community" is not strong enough to step in and turn the
power back on. As long as that's true, you're still a fetus.

Trifle, Novell will not pull the power plug immediately at all. So, let's
concentrate on what makes sense *today* and care about other scenarios if they
arise. And if they arise we need a strong community to continue. So, let's
get back to the point I made: Are we a strong community? If not, what will we
do to become one? Where will you get involved?

To attract other corporate players, opensuse needs a life, independent
from Novell.

We do have already other corporate sponsors and a foundation will enable us to
get more. I think that's the right focus in this area,

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany