Re: [opensuse-project] Call for Action: The Conference Program Committee
  • From: "S.Kemter" <buergermeister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:26:10 +0200
Am Montag, den 10.05.2010, 12:48 +0200 schrieb Vincent Untz:
Le lundi 10 mai 2010, à 06:20 +0200, S.Kemter a écrit :
How far users travel depends really at the program. I dont travel to
Nuremberg that shows me a Jan Weber some computers with openSUSE on it.
I dont travel for one talk (except the topic is very interesting for me)
but when there are mor talks the interest me so that I have a reason to
stay the whole day, then I travel 240km to Nuremberg ;)

That's fair. But I think the point is that we won't reach end-users that
are not part of our community anyway. The users who will attend the
conference and who are coming from more than 100km are advanced users
who care about the distribution, follow the news, etc. They are already
part of our community and they know the basics of the project. So to
attract them, we shouldn't talk about "What's openSUSE?" but "What's
project".

I am not asked for talks like "Whats openSUSE" that isnt necessary to
make, for this they can travel to other events like LinuxTag, CLT or a
other linux events.

I heard last year a talk from Spevack. It was called "Innovations from
fedora project" on the end the headline was wrong I spoke about
transform users to contributors

http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2009/vortraege/detail.html?idx=18

the talk is available as mp3 and ogg ;)

I think also more on topics like

*packacking with OBS
*how to use bugtracker

some entry workshops and talks for programming for transforming users to
contributors. Atract free developers

(Note that those topics are of interest to all contributors anyway ;-))

+1

The CfP looks okay -- I like the main theme. I'm unsure about the tracks
yet, but as said earlier, this will depend on the submissions, so it's
okay to wait here to be sure. What's important is to make it clear that
all openSUSE-related topics are welcome, and that we also want upstream
to come and talk about what they're doing that might impact a project
like ours. Maybe add something like:

"We encourage upstream communities to come and present the latest
developments of their projects, as well as to come to learn about the
openSUSE project. We want upstream to feel comfortable with openSUSE,
and the openSUSE community is always excited to see what will be coming
next thanks to upstream!"

(needs to be reworded, I guess)

Oh, we probably need some text about "getting sponsored", or a link to a
page about that so that potential speakers know if there will be
sponsorship opportunities.

br gnokii

Vincent

--