Re: [opensuse-project] Call for Action: The Conference Program Committee
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 22:22:16 +0100
Hi Klaas,

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 17:18 +0200, Klaas Freitag wrote:
Hi,

as agreed in the conference IRC session I am happy to ask you for
your participation in the Program Committee of the openSUSE Conference
2010.

The Program Committee is respsonsible for the schedule of presentations,
bird-of-a-feather-sessions and lightningtalks at the conference. For
that it has to outline the rough frame of the conference topcs and issue
a call for papers.

As a team, it will pick from all submissions coming in and assemble the
schedule. It also might actively seek out for interesting contributors
to the conference.

The ideal candidates for the Program Committee should be prepared to
quite some work until and during the conference and should have a good
idea of what the community might be interested in. Experience in FOSS
conference organization would be ideal.

If you feel to join the Program Committee please go to [1] and add
your name to the list. I think around eight people would be a good
team. As a rough time frame, I think it would make sense to make
the CFP public by calendar week 20. Let's schedule a first PC meeting
for mid next week.

As a starting point a proposal for the Call for Papers can be found
at [2]. Comments are welcome.

best Regards,
Klaas

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Conference_2010/Program_Committee
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/Conference_2010/Call_For_Papers

The spread of topics seems like a good and varied list. I would like to
see if possible the topic of Accessibility covered, maybe as part of the
Collaboration Across Borders track as it applies to all aspects of
openSUSE regardless of DE.

It would be a great opportunity to get members of all DEs
(GNOME/KDE/Meego/LXDE/XFCE) and look at ways we can work together and
learn from each other in an aspect that affects us all.

One thing that isn't 100% clear to me is the target audience for the
conference, is it aimed at developers, users or both? Personally I
would like to see it aimed at both, but is that the general consensus?
It may be worth holding workshops to help enlighten people to the ways
of the Geeko. Off the top of my head we could have workshops based
around packaging/OBS/testing/kiwi/bugs. You could have several
workshops on the same topic aimed at different levels of experience.

Last year we had four tracks (one being taken up by the RPM Summit) with
a fairly general topic for each track, is this what we want again?
Would it be better to have more tracks with a more focused topic per
track as mentioned in the CFP outline?

Regards,

Andy

--
Andrew Wafaa, openSUSE Member: FunkyPenguin.
PGP: 0x3A36312F