Re: [opensuse-project] i18n: man pages
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:04:39 +0200
On 4/27/2010 at 11:47, Juergen Weigert <jw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
rpm -ql serna-free | grep /bin/

Which is helpful for the technically inclined, but not for the end user.

For a perfect user experience (in an ideal world), installing a package
foo should make 'something' of the name foo appear in the system.
This something could be
- a desktop icon,
- a menu entry,
- something the desktop search can find, or
- (at least!) a command on the command line.

Just my humble opinion, ignoring any feasability.

I checked out serna yesterday to see, if a desktop file could be easily
added. Just to find out, that serna does not even compile on 11.2 and up.

Err, sure, but: what would a package like ufoai-maps give you in the menu? it
is, as the package tells us, simply the maps package for the game
ufoai: the maps are split out of the main package just to reduce the amount of
install time for the users, coz the games repo sees of course
recompiles of it's binary packages... something we can easily avoid on a -data
package.

But those packages just can't provide anything of what you'd expect them to do..

maybe cnf could be extended to:
- check for command (it does)
- Check for package name => if found, give the user some info what he could do
(like rpm -ql <package> to list it's content, rpm -qi <package> to
show it's information and so on).

But then: a user that won't understand the content of the package still will
not be helped in this case... We just gap a bridge for the technical
user that is not willing to read man pages.

for any package that provides an application, I agree: if it's an X-app there
has to be a .desktop file (or an argument why it would not be needed).
At least on Factory / contrib we could enforce the rule to reject it if not
provided (which I'm not sure if it's done, but I could easily imagine it
is).

Dominique