Re: [opensuse-project] Can we support for-profit organizations to make money? (Was: Ubuntu One Music Store)
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:43:56 +1100
On 01/03/10 00:24, Karsten König wrote:
Am Sonntag, 28. Februar 2010 14:03:22 schrieb Basil Chupin:

From the Guidelines referred to me by Henne Vogelsang, namely

http://en.opensuse.org/Guiding_Principles

I quote the following:

QUOTE

Novell owns the registered openSUSE trademark.

UNQUOTE

Huh? I know Novell owns the trademark but also allows it's use for certain
parts of the community, I think there is a mailing list where you can ask if
it's ok to use the trademark for example your own openSUSE spin. Still I
don't
get what this has to do with novell owning openSUSE, a trademark is something
different. It's similar to the name Linux which also is a trademark but can
basicly be used free of charge unless it is with bad intent.

Have a look at the entry for Novell, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell

Look in the R-H panel which will show that openSUSE is a product of Novell.

However, I would be most pleased to be advised of a reference which
shows that openSUSE.org is in fact an 'org' which is a not-for-profit
organisation and which is a legal entity, able to sue and be sued, and
which is constituted under an Act of parliament (in my country) and
which has to meet very specific requirements as specified in the Act to
be termed an 'organisation'.

In which country is openSUSE registered as a not-for-profit organisation?

However, I can see in the entry for the domain names for .org that this
domain name is usually used for open source software - with no
qualification mentioned that a commercial entity cannot use this domain
name for its product(s).

In the Guidelines which Henne mentioned there is one word called
"board". If you click on that word you will taken to an explanation of
what "board" is all about.

Quite apart from the fact that all board members - except, perhaps, one
- are employees of Novell, there is also the statement that the
chairperson of the "board" is always appointed by Novell.

BC

--
She was only a whisky maker but I loved her still.