Re: [opensuse-project] Can we support for-profit organizations to make money? (Was: Ubuntu One Music Store)
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:31:46 +0100
On 02/23/2010 02:19 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le mardi 23 février 2010, à 11:56 +0100, Henne Vogelsang a écrit :
I welcome this discussion, and think its a necessary one, but i would
like to discuss it uncoupled from this example. So what is our answer to:

Sending this in another mail because I didn't want to pollute my other
mail :-) I think one reason people might feel it's hard to uncouple the
topic from this example is that Canonical distributes Ubuntu and does
the Music Store for Ubuntu, which is a competitor of the openSUSE
project.

In this specific case, that means supporting one competitor. Which might
affect how people think of the issue.

It does for me. See below.

While in general I have no objections to include stuff which could
generate money for non-profit or for-profit as long as I have the choice
to use it or not.

In the Ubuntu case I'm not so sure as it's direct "competition" to our
project. It depends on how big the advantage of a service/application is
for our users.
I cannot see a black/white decision process here :-(

Wolfgang