Re: [opensuse-project] Ubuntu One Music Store -- what will openSUSE be doing?
  • From: Jeff Mitchell <mitchell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:32:28 -0500
On 02/19/2010 09:12 PM, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
Why is this a problem? It isn't, necessarily -- but I do worry about the
implications of for-profit distributions or projects or companies
getting in a habit of pushing code upstream -- or on other distributions
-- with the sole purpose of earning money (as opposed to earning money
by improving FOSS and creating a more salable product). It seems like a

I should mention that I know this
for-profit-entity-pushing-code-upstream happens all the time -- for
instance pushing drivers into the Linux kernel. And there are other
examples too -- RedHat pushing *Kit for instance. But the goal with
these examples is to attempt to push newer and better technologies
(others might disagree as to whether technology X is better or not, but
that's not really the point) into the FOSS world...with the aim also of
also profiting, either through sales of now-supported devices or from
having a distribution that better supports modern features and provides
smoother experiences for the users.

I feel like something is fundamentally different here, because the music
store provides no benefit for the wider FOSS community, nor even for a
particular non-profit project. One can already download Amazon MP3 music
on Linux; this just makes it nominally easier, and mostly ensures that
the for-profit Canonical gets a cut of the profits. It's hard to see
this as enhancing the FOSS world, or what it brings to the table for
other projects and distributions. That's why I'm sending this mail to
you, wondering what your take on this is. I'm interested in the insights
here.

Thanks,
Jeff