Re: [opensuse-project] USB installer support for 11.3?
  • From: Klaas Freitag <freitag@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:14:34 +0100
Hi,

I really support the idea of making it easier and asked Michal to take a
look, see https://features.opensuse.org/308352

There is a UI tool for writing images to USB sticks available as part of
the kiwi project:
http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/openSUSE:Tools/openSUSE_11.2/kiwi-tools-
imagewriter.ymp

Well, this tool looks great for the job (didn't try actually copying the
image
yet, but I assume it works).

In my not so humble opinion only a few small issues need to be addressed, to
make it perfect:

* The tool needs to be put in default desktop installations for 11.3

* The package lacks a menu entry/.desktop file to make it easily launchable
via the menu - e.g. Kickoff - with clicky, clicky and a nice xdg-su/kdesu
permission dialog.

* It seems that you _must_ plug in the usb-device _before_ launching
imagewriter - either this should be changed, or there should be some kind of
reminder/warning on startup if no usb-device is found.
Please if somebody has input like this please add to the feature or even better
get in touch with Michal and help to get it done, thanks.

Klaas