Re: [opensuse-project] USB installer support for 11.3?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:26:10 +0100
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:09, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010 schrieb Clayton:
Not sure if this should be here on Project or in Factory....

Just a question... when openSUSE 11.3 is released is there any
possibility that we can provide a "easy" way to create a full install
from USB sticks?

There is a page written in the Wiki here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick which details how to build a
LiveCD on a USB stick.... this works, but it's difficult for new
/inexperienced users to deal with.

Did you read the page? Especially the

"Since openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 7, LiveCD iso can be used to create LiveUSB.
The complicated procedure described in section #openSUSE 11.1 and earlier is
no longer needed. " part?

Yes... and did you read what I wrote? :-)

I don't think that dd if=openSUSE-11.2-KDE4-LiveCD-i686.iso
of=/dev/sdX bs=4M;sync is "easy" (I can do it, but my mother for
example cannot deal with that on her machine) and this is for the
LiveCD.... what about the DVD iso? I've never really had good success
with the full DVD iso... like I said, any bootable USB I've created
(of 11.2) has *always* "errored out" during the boot sequence and
dropped me to the text installer where I've had to choose the bootable
partition. This is both with the dd step and using unetbootin.

C.