[opensuse-project] USB installer support for 11.3?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:03:17 +0100
Not sure if this should be here on Project or in Factory....

Just a question... when openSUSE 11.3 is released is there any
possibility that we can provide a "easy" way to create a full install
from USB sticks?

There is a page written in the Wiki here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick which details how to build a
LiveCD on a USB stick.... this works, but it's difficult for new
/inexperienced users to deal with.

unetbootin is another (multi-platform) option which works... kind of.
If you use unetbootin to create a bootable installer on USB using the
DVD iso as a source, you can install once you boot the USB stick, but
it's messy... the openSUSE GUI installer errors out during the initial
startup and drops you to a text based interface where you have to
fiddle with pointing at bootable partitions etc. to get it going
again. (this causes a bit of a panic with new users... at least it did
with the people that I was trying to help with installing openSUSE
11.2 on their Eee PC)

Would it be possible to create some USB friendly download for the 11.3
release that would work smoothly (ie create a bootable USB stick with
the full install iso)?

C.