[opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-packaging] GPL v3 question
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:26:41 +0100
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 02:20:13PM +0200, Dave Plater wrote:
Hi, I've come across my first license problem with ghostscript-8.70, it
has switched to GPL v3. There are a lot of packages that depend on
ghostscript, lilypond being one and apparently TeXLive sub packages. How
are problems like this resolved. Having an old ghostscript version isn't
good for attracting people to the distro. I'm totally in the dark about
these things but as a packager I need to know about them.

As long as the program calls "gs" via system it is just use and does
not impose license requirements the calling programs.

Most of those programs do it that way.

I am not aware that ghostscript exposes libraries?

Ciao, Marcus