Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE 10.3 runs out of maintenance
  • From: Administrator <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:36:53 +0000

is usual, openeSUSE 10.3 runs out of maintenance and I will remove all
repos building against it in OBS.

openSUSE:10.3 project has been moved to DISCONTINUED: namespace as
announced a while ago.

a few comments about that and I replied to project since that is more a
project issue as an isolated buildservice thing.

Could we improve this process in the future please.
The above announcement doesn't have a fixed date, when stuff will get
removed from OBS. So that means "immediately" apparently.
So repo people didn't have time to migrate their 10.3 repos if they are
still needed. An earlier announcement that it would happen at some point
doesn't count as excuse I think.
The next thing is that 10.3 gets still security updates until oct 31st
according to another post.

So could that be a bit better coordinated the next time and with a bit
more time to prepare such a removal?

Can I make 2 suggestions:

1) That both the new "discontinued" repository location is created 3 months
before the switch over, and both old & new are present for that 3 month
period to allow easy change over.

2) That the termination / move of the other repositories is coordinated with
the main repository.

And, as a final point, having 11.2 available *after* 10.3 is killed just
doubles the work for everyone out here.

This abrupt cancellation is a real pain. I have 10.3 on several old boxes
which are not worth the effort of upgrading to 11.2 and now I have to
hurriedly make changes to them all to get rid of the errors on weekly
security patch installs. Grrrrr

David