[opensuse-project] Default Firewall Behavior / SMBclient
  • From: Jason Perlow <jperlow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:27:52 -0400
Ok. I'm just going to get this out of the way now that I have
installed Milestone 8.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11243

I am sick, utterly sick and tired of having to install the SAMBA
packages and then punch a hole through the firewall with the Samba
Server config tool in YAST2 just to make smbclient and network
browsing on the desktop function. openSUSE has been doing this as
default behavior for the last several releases.

Yes, I know how to fix it. All of us who are power users know how to
fix it. But your average end-user has no clue on how to fix this. Many
of them will simply say, "Crap, I can't get my network functioning.
Maybe Ubuntu wont be broken"

Ubuntu, who is openSUSE's prime competition, has functioning SMB
networking by default.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11218

Can we please, please, pretty please, make SAMBA installed by default
with the appropriate firewall rules applied as default behavior?

One thing we might want to consider for future openSUSE releases is
something like that "Role-based" configuration GUI that Windows Server
2008 R2 has, that automatically configures a set of services based on
the way the system is going to be used.

http://content.zdnet.com/2347-17924_22-293601-293615.html?seq=12

This could also be done during installation, where the installer
would give a choice of "Workstation / Developer Workstation / File
Server / Web Server" and the choice would apply the right set of
packages and firewall settings. By default, all of the Live CD
versions should have SMB networking out of the box functioning.

--
Jason Perlow
jperlow@xxxxxxxxx

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jperlow