Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 19:36:15 -0500
On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 22:26 +0200, Christian Jäger wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 01.09.2009, 12:02 -0500 schrieb Bryen M Yunashko:

As Michl mentioned in his announcement, he did talk to the teams
involved. In fact, what happened was that we, the Board, brought
together representatives from each team to a meeting just before the
decision was announced. The decision was already made by the time the
announcement was made, and in hindsight that is regrettable. But, the
focus of the meeting was specifically the intentions you have outlined.

Both sides identified their perceptions and feelings and we opened up a
great dialogue. This discussion is by no means completed and we intend
to further this discussion at the openSUSE Conference coming up in
Nuremberg this month.

I believe from this meeting, we achieved greater understanding of each
other. It was clear from everyone present that we all want to work
together in a more harmonious way that supports the success of each
Desktop Environment on openSUSE.

Actually, that's the first I time anyone told about this in details.
That's great, but why wasn't there a communique by the board or
something? As the title of this thread says, a little more transparency
wouldn't hurt.

There was no communique by the Board because this was no official action
made by the Board. While many view this decision as political, it still
fell under the purview of technical decision making, which is not
currently in our hands. As Michl stated in his announcement, he did
communicate with the teams. He did so in his capacity as chairman of
the Board, along with the rest of us, who recognized that our role of
the board is to resolve conflicts and strengthen community.

Well, seems at least _one_ thing went right. What's still missing to put
my mind at ease is that we have to make sure that such a 'dictate of the
majority' (or rather of the most vocal part of the community) as we saw
here cannot happen again. We need a carther that guarantees the equal
positions of GNOME and KDE communties in the openSUSE either by concrete
measures (such as 'no default desktop') or by a 50-50-parity of seats on
the openSUSE board.

What do you think?

Greets,
Chris

Let me point out that there is already an unconference session scheduled
during the openSUSE Conference focusing on governance issues. I expect
we'll be doing a lot of hashing and rehashing as we look at how to
better improve the way the Project is governed. It will very definitely
be a very hands down-roll up your sleeves and let's get to thinking
about it. And I'm looking forward to it. And the great thing is, this
will be most definitely transparent as this is an open meeting.

In all honesty, I am not sure having specific representatives of each
camp is all that effective. It's counter-productive. For one thing, it
reinforces the notion that KDE and GNOME teams are two separate distinct
camps with their own agendas and goals. This is not the vision I
personally have. Nor is it reality. I often see GNOMEies and KDE'ers
collaborating. My vision is a representation that strives for the
greater good of the overall Project, not specific factions. And to
ensure that most of the perspectives of our community is heard. For me,
everyone knows that I am a GNOME user. But when I am in board meetings,
I _never_ sit there with the express goal of protecting and pushing for
GNOME's interests. I'm there to represent the project as a whole. And
that's what we all have to do. And I feel that most of us are looking
in that direction already.

One thing that I have always felt, even when I ran for Board last year,
was that we do not have enough representatives from the community on the
Board. In fact, there are only two community representatives. This
doesn't mean the Novell representatives aren't conscientious about
community. Far from it, I believe they are more aligned with community
than Novell. But still, two isn't enough. Especially when one cannot
make it to a meeting, and suddenly the weight of community is on one
shoulder. The good news is that very recently, the question of adding a
new community board position has been floated around the board and
hopefully we'll make our recommendations on it soon. Likely, this will
also be brought up for discussion and agreement at the Conference, and
who knows, we might be able to get a new position in time for the
upcoming elections. No promises. :-)

But Chris. Please do know that the points you have made are on the
minds of many already. We do need to do a better job of communicating
our thoughts to each other and developing the transparency in a more
suitable fashion. But we're working towards it. Trust me. :-)

And I look forward to seeing all of you at the Conference to discuss
these matters in more detail.

--
Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member