Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:02:25 -0500
On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 18:39 +0200, Christian Jäger wrote:
Am Sonntag, den 30.08.2009, 14:26 -0500 schrieb Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Patrick Shanahan<ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
We all want to move forward together, but certain people wish to make
that 'together' only include KDE users, it seems. Which is not going
to help the Project in any way.

My thoughts exactly. The project now labors from the complete mess that
was made of this decision.

The correct way to go about it for the KDE-guys would have been to make
contact with our GNOME community via the GNOME-ML and talk this over;
straighten out the perceptions of each other. Afterwards a discussion on
this very ML about what sense there could be in having a default DE
could have been set up with a chance of not degrading into a
flame-war. .. Because having a default DE represents a MAJOR policy
change.

Certainly it was dead-wrong to allow such a thing as a 'feature request'
- unproper handling, mistake #1.

Afterwards it was wrong not to discuss 'default, yes or now', separately
from 'which one to default, if a default is neccessary' - Mistake #2.

Then it was very wrong to make a top-down decision, like in the 'good
old SUSE days'. Because it won't be appreciated, and this needn't wonder
you as it seems to encourage what many felt to be a bullying behaviour.
Mistake #3.

So, on top of all the other problems we now have a leadership problem.
The role of the board has also appeared in a bad light. Did anyone who
really really represents the project as a whole step in to play the role
of mediator with a shred of credibility? No.

A LOT of repairwork needs to be done sometime soon to re-build the
wreckage that once was a cross-distribution community.

Let's clear some things up.

As Michl mentioned in his announcement, he did talk to the teams
involved. In fact, what happened was that we, the Board, brought
together representatives from each team to a meeting just before the
decision was announced. The decision was already made by the time the
announcement was made, and in hindsight that is regrettable. But, the
focus of the meeting was specifically the intentions you have outlined.

Both sides identified their perceptions and feelings and we opened up a
great dialogue. This discussion is by no means completed and we intend
to further this discussion at the openSUSE Conference coming up in
Nuremberg this month.

I believe from this meeting, we achieved greater understanding of each
other. It was clear from everyone present that we all want to work
together in a more harmonious way that supports the success of each
Desktop Environment on openSUSE.

I do not support the notion that the aftermath of this decision was
truly destructive in the way you imply. Specifically, because it forced
us all to look within ourselves and where we see ourselves within the
project. We do have a long ways to go, but I do not believe the road
has a steep incline and we will get there in the very near future.

The decision has been made, and there is nothing presently that will
reverse that decision. Our energy and focus must be on the future and
how we can be true brothers and sisters in the Project. Spending our
time ranting and criticizing the decision itself is no longer productive
and is counterproductive to the long-term goals we all have of making
openSUSE a success. Do I agree with the decision itself? No. Do I
want to spend time criticizing it? No. I want to spend time rebuilding
and making us stronger than ever.

So let's move on. And if you're going to the openSUSE Conference, I
look forward to your participation in this discussion.

--
Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member