Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: "Christian Jäger" <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: 1 Sep 2009 18:39:10 +0200
Am Sonntag, den 30.08.2009, 14:26 -0500 schrieb Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Patrick Shanahan<ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We all want to move forward together, but certain people wish to make
that 'together' only include KDE users, it seems. Which is not going
to help the Project in any way.

My thoughts exactly. The project now labors from the complete mess that
was made of this decision.

The correct way to go about it for the KDE-guys would have been to make
contact with our GNOME community via the GNOME-ML and talk this over;
straighten out the perceptions of each other. Afterwards a discussion on
this very ML about what sense there could be in having a default DE
could have been set up with a chance of not degrading into a
flame-war. .. Because having a default DE represents a MAJOR policy
change.

Certainly it was dead-wrong to allow such a thing as a 'feature request'
- unproper handling, mistake #1.

Afterwards it was wrong not to discuss 'default, yes or now', separately
from 'which one to default, if a default is neccessary' - Mistake #2.

Then it was very wrong to make a top-down decision, like in the 'good
old SUSE days'. Because it won't be appreciated, and this needn't wonder
you as it seems to encourage what many felt to be a bullying behaviour.
Mistake #3.

So, on top of all the other problems we now have a leadership problem.
The role of the board has also appeared in a bad light. Did anyone who
really really represents the project as a whole step in to play the role
of mediator with a shred of credibility? No.

A LOT of repairwork needs to be done sometime soon to re-build the
wreckage that once was a cross-distribution community.