Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Matt Gray <mjg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:50:20 +0100
Administrator wrote:
it was precisely because of this perception of 'ill-use' that i argued
time and again last
month that a decision on a default desktop should only be taken IF the
relevant experts
within opensuse decided that a default desktop would provide a net
benefit to the
distribution via increased adoption, and in particular increased
adoption by new users.

We can't avoid the issue by not talking about it, which is what this proposal
is - if we don't talk about defaults then we don't need to talk about the
tensions / insecurities between the KDE & Gnome camps in openSuSE. The issue
needs to be aired and resolved.

As far as I understand, the Gnome camp fear that Gnome will become a minor
player in openSuSE, and the KDE camp fear that KDE will become a minor player
in the SuSE Enterprise.

There have been statements that contradict these fears, but these have been
discounted or ignored. What would allay the fears?

David

I don't disagree with anything you say.

My take was that the perception of 'ill-use' among the Gnome crowd arose
from the idea that a noisy element within the KDE crowd were using their
majority as an excuse to force Gnome into a second class status within
opensuse.
Thus i argued time and again last month that a decision on a default
desktop should only be taken IF the relevant experts within opensuse
decided that a default desktop would provide a net benefit to the
distribution via increased adoption, and in particular increased
adoption by new users. I also stated that i did not have the expertise
to judge whether a default desktop would provide a net benefit, and was
thus happy to leave THAT decision in the hands of said opensuse experts.
To reiterate; I as a KDE user, advocated choosing a default desktop only
if the relevant opensuse decision makers decided that having a default
desktop would be a positive step (read: net benefit) for the distribution.
IF the opensuse decision makers concluded that a default desktop
pre-selection was in the distributions best interest, only then did i
advocate choosing KDE for that default on the basis that it is the most
popular DE among the opensuse community.

To conclude; I did my best to argue a non-partisan position, and i did
so publicly on the mailing list to alleviate the perception of 'ill-use'
by the Gnome crowd.