[opensuse-project] Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:56:58 +0200
Hi all,

the topic of a "default desktop" was raised in July as a feature[1] in our
openFATE feature tracking system by a community member, and it was a subject
of a lively debate within openFATE and on the openSUSE Project mailing
list[2]. The default desktop is an issue that many openSUSE users and
contributors are passionate about.

After consideration of the project discussion I discussed the feature request
further with the openSUSE Board and other leaders within the openSUSE project
and came to the decision to follow the request: we will default the radio
button to KDE in the DVD installer. Therefore, with openSUSE 11.2 release, the
KDE desktop will be installed if the user accepts the default setting. Users
can also choose the GNOME desktop at this stage.

We want to make clear that both desktops are considered equal citizens within
the openSUSE Project, and this will not have any impact on the quality of the
GNOME desktop within openSUSE. GNOME will continue to be offered as a top-
level installation choice, and we will continue to strive to provide the best
GNOME and KDE desktop experience.

Thanks to everyone for conducting the conversation in a professional and
courteous manner and for the quality of feedback we've received. This shows
the strength of our community, and it's good to know we can address the tough
issues head on and remain focused on the project goals.

Best
Michael

[1] https://features.opensuse.org/306967
[2] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2009-08/