[opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-announce] Creating a group of conserned Users and Novell partners/longer life time for openSUSE... (LONG POST)
  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:19:14 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
1. Many small business owners/small companies feel there is a lack of
attention to their needs from Novell. That is to say Novell only listens to
"Monster Enterprise Clients"

Solution: We form a group that combined has equivelant $$$ behind it to
warrent attention.

How is this related to what you call openSLE? Looking at your comparison
with Fedora/CentOS/RHEL, there is zero $$$ behind CentOS as far as Red hat
goes.

Perhaps you could describe how you'd see this interact/relate to openSUSE
on one, and SLE on the other hand? That would be helpful for me, and
possibly others, to better understand your proposal.

2. To quote some CEO's and COO... "The SUSE/Novell people act like a
bunch arrogant 20-something ... that treat us and are staff like
idiots.) SMB's have to contribute more time/money/resources to keep
openSUSE going. (Why should we when we are treated like idiots)?

Which Linux operating systems are these CEOs and COOs using?

There is a reference to openSUSE here, which would imply their interaction
with Novell is via the openSUSE community as opposed to Novell Technical
Services, Sales, etc?

At some of the event I and others I talk with have attended it is often
asked "Why doesn't Novell offer an opneSLE alternitive?"

For the same reason that Red Hat is not offering one, I assume.

People using the fedora->CentOS->RHEL talk of how many of the business
they support move this route to become RHEL customers. I think we
(being the SUSE prefered" really would benefit from a similar path.
That is why I am trying to somehow get a group organized. So we are
able to have our voice heard at the higher levels of Novell.

I am listening. :-)

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer E gp@xxxxxxxxxx SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Product Management F +49(911)74053-483 HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)