[opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 03:06:59 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 07 May 2009 12:43:28 +1000, Mark V wrote:

community's workload, or whatever reason).... now there is a problem.
If the EOL date is built into the naming convention this is much less
a problem, just relase with a shorter date and everyone will know.

I'm beginning to wonder if we're talking at cross purposes here.

If the release is out there already with an EOL date of 2010-12 (Dec
2010), the release is already out there, surely you wouldn't want to
change it after release because a change in circumstances lead the
community to reduce the lifespan and release more frequently?

I don't propose that. Never have.
You raised an issue where I said that such a scenario would be
concerning, and I explicitly asked if that was possible. One response
was along the lines of: no guarantee, but it has never happened yet.

Ah, so in fact we're debating something we're in violent agreement
about. ;-)

Changing the name after release is certain to be disasterous, and I'm
sure you see the reasons for that, so I'm not sure I follow what you're
saying....

No I'm saying right now people might reason figure: I setup my machine
with latest, and I'm good for (roughly) two years for the release date.
If in two years they grab the next release, and the (rough) lifespan
rule-of-thumb has changed, you'll need to make sure they don't just
assume it is still two years. Contrived I accept.

And easily resolved, by including a note to that effect in the installer
and on the website (I wonder if there are any stats about how many people
pull their downloads through opensuse.org vs. just going to a mirror and
downloading - guess that would be difficult-to-impossible to measure
since "just going to a mirror" implies they don't go to the opensuse
site.)

I know I've seen some say they'd like an LTS policy/strategy from
openSUSE, kinda like Ubuntu's policy.  That said, the obvious reply is
"if you need LTS, then you should be looking at SLES or SLED rather
than openSUSE".

Agreed.
As I've been at pains to point out from the outset: I'm assuming no LTS
type releases will made. If they are introduced they'll break the
following description given to newbies: "The release with the most
distant EOL date is the most recent release" As I've said all along:
this is one issue that would need to be considered carefully. For me, I
don't see it as a deal breaker - the EOL info is too important.

Agreed on all counts; the solution to the description problem would be to
add a qualifier that states "excluding any release that is tagged as
including long term support (LTS)".

Jim

--
Jim Henderson