Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: Mark V <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:04:36 +1000
Naming must be easy to swallow.

Agreed.   Would the following be simple enough?
Code name <color> during development phases: openSUSE Asparagus
Release name <EOL> at/near the release date: openSUSE 11-11

No, it wouldn't.
I want exact date + first and last kernel versions + + +  :-)

C'mon.

It's a release name, not short history of release and it's properties.
It is something that is unique and easy to remember when you want to refer to,
when you want to put it in boot menu.

When I ask somebody which release, now I need only number.
I already know it is openSUSE and if I want to know more I will go to wiki and
see details.

Fact that Project Overview should contain more links to relevant information
is obvious, but you can't fit all that is relevant for all people in release
name. Some would like to know what is kernel version, other Firefox, third
will want to know something else. For every openSUSE user you will find
something different as important.

So lets stick with colors, or city names without extensions.

Sure, I'm not proposing EOL as an extension but as the only tag (a
compromise where it decomes the extension is better than buring the
EOL again). Anyway. Let us be clear: color/city/food/philosopher is
cute but meaningless/uninformative.

What is so difficult about (systematic) YY-MM but not difficult about
random color/city/food/philosopher?

I keep asking these direct questions but getting convoluted indirect answers.
So far, after some wrestling, I think we've tagged to known 'issues'
neither of which apply to openSUSE as it currently stands.
There also has been no one directly address how likely they feel the
current situation will change - which would be a good reason to avoid
tagging a release with its EOL.
Perhaps they recognize that doing so throws open the question of whats
the point of having an EOL date if it is so
fragile/confusing/convoluted you can't tag a release with it :)
(Ubuntu people would have that conversation and might say, well the
extra time you get by having occasional LTS releases is worth the
randomness/confusion)

There seemed to be a reasonable objection: what if things go
pear-shaped during dev period and the this means the EOL must get
pushed back? If you feel that strongly to have a name during dev them
use a temp one, cilty/color/ etc. that is as meaningless/uninformative
as the dev phase is temporary :)

Personally, I don't see any point in naming during the dev phases
beyond the generic 'Factory'.
When things are firm enough to be named then name it <EOL>.
Now even a casual user knows something critical (the EOL date) that is
otherwise buried.
This way junk-information/noise such as color/city/food/philosopher
never enters a description when someone asks you: "What openSUSE
release are you using?"

Hypothetical, repeat hypothetical, forum exchange:
Req: What release are you using?
Res: YY-MM
Req: Hmm, that end date is 3 months away, it'll be much less hassel
for you to upgrade, where this problem doesn't happen, than solve this
problem now and still have to upgrade in a month or two.
Res: Ahh thanks I didn't know that was the end-of-life date. I though
they were picking significant anniversary dates of different
philosopher's city of birth - I had noticed Linux people seem to enjoy
using irrelevant/obscure names.
Req: No prob's. If you can live with things as they are, wait two
weeks and the YY-MM3 release will be out it seems quite good, and
you'll be good until YY-MM3. If you can't wait use the YY-MM2 release
and this issue should be fixed there too.
Res: OK thanks. Some parts of this distro seem very disciplined and
well thought through, others seem very random compared to....

Cheers

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/