Re: [opensuse-project] About opensuse-gsoc, mentors and proposals
  • From: "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 09:09:40 -0400
Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the email.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Ricardo Cornet <rcornet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I got a few lines of feedback to my easy yast proposal, but nothing
else. Until yesterday when I was told on a comment on a proposal that I
needed to elaborate more on implementations matters.

That bother me. Because the process as I understood it was me + other
people, debate and ideas and then final draft. To elaborate without any
discussion or contact other than unidirectional comments is not simple
without mind reading  abilities.

I appreciate the position you're taking, but just like everyone else -
the people who are working as mentors for openSUSE are fairly busy.
You need to meet them halfway. I've looked at the proposal you're
referring to, and it's a single sentence -- not giving the mentor
anything to go on.

Generally, the effort shown by a student at the beginning of the
program mirrors the effort put out through the rest of the summer.
Being unwilling to go into at least a bit of detail about the
implementation isn't particularly comforting.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>