Re: [opensuse-project] application navigation/search tab for software management on yast
  • From: Ricardo Cornet <rcornet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 21:03:03 -0400
Jean Cayron wrote:
Also, if you make something like software.opensuse-community.org, it
makes a problem for other languages than EN. It works only with
keywords in English. If I type "Office" I have nice results, if I type
"Bureautique" I get nothing.

If you make something with a predefined list like in the screenshot of
Mandriva (like our beloved "Groups" in Yast), it makes it easier to
search in every language. The model approach is also interesting: one
model to install everything default of OpenOffice (with the
translation of your locale).

My first language is spanish, so I know what you mean. As I said in my
previous reply, it is my intention to have both a "text search" and a
categorie/groups approach for people who knows what they want and people
who wants to explore what they can get or are too lazy to type :-)

What you call model approach, is somewhat already implemented on
opensuse with the "patterns" filter. The appropiate language is set
alright for most apps. Except the classic problem Gnome vs KDE issue. In
KDE you just change your settings on KDE settings and its done. Gnome
takes it settings form the $LANG enviroment variable instead of a config
file. I install my personal systems with english as main system language
and for my personal account I set KDE to spanish and is all right except
when go to a GTK/GNOME app that starts in english. So with KDE I can
have easily multilingual desktops on the same machine, but GNOME
requires some hacks for the same. A wide fit all solution require more
work on install and first session time.

Ricardo Cornet.