Re: [opensuse-project] Novell´s plans for the comming releases
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:07:27 +0100
On Friday 16 January 2009 21:41:08 Birger Kollstrand wrote:
2009/1/16 Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>:
On Thursday 15 January 2009 19:41:50 Birger Kollstrand wrote:
- Portability/Laptop/Nettbooks and so on
- Connectivity of devices
- Support for syncronizing devices
- Home server setup, mediaserver, DNLA, UpnP, file , print and so on.

I think our problem is that we want to reach all of these at the same
time. ;) openSUSE is a desktop distribution with server functionality
that can be used by developers. In practice the primary focus is on
desktop but we distribute packages for the rest as well.

Actually I find the server part the best. And that part is really good
from my point of view.
The desktop I find to much focused on the latest KDE version or the
latest Gnome version.
To do everything at the same time is not possible with high quality.
Choices must be made just as the choice to drop KDE 3.5 down the line
is sensible.

openSUSE has different needs:
* we use it as basis for our enterprise server and desktop products
* we want to grow the openSUSE community

openSUSE is used by the community nowadays in all the different scenarios
you mention above - and you'll surely find one vocal user for each of
them. ;)

:-) as always.
:
Should we focus the distribution more?

Yes. I think it`s always a good idea to build brick by brick. Choose a
strategy for focus areas per release.

And what do to with the other use cases?

Plan them for future attention and loving :-)

Ah, so you propose to focus openSUSE 11.2 on one specific topic and put lots
of effort into that one while we do the rest as well and 11.3 on another one
and that way add more features over time?

We try to have a couple of high-level features for each release and we're way
beyond discussing and finalizing them. :-(

I have two meta-features that I find very important for openSUSE 11.2:
* enabling participation in all areas: we have build openSUSE 11.2 completely
for the first time in the openSUSE Build Service (OBS). But there are stil a
couple of things that can only be done inside the Novell network and I'd like
to have this changed
* easier way to follow factory: Currently the factory distribution changes
quite heavily and it's difficult to follow it since many packages need to be
updated every time - and each package needs to be downloaded completely. So,
we have to check how to reduce the number of packages to download and how to
make them smaller (relevant features are #303532 and #305634),

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany