Re: [opensuse-project] Development release: How to make it better,
  • From: "Eric Springer" <erikina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 13:10:09 +1000
On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Rob OpenSuSE
<rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"OpenSuse 11.1 needed more testing"
http://forums.opensuse.org/install-boot-login/402849-opensuse-11-1-needed-more-testing.html

It didn't need more testing. The issues were well identified and reported.

What we needed was:
a) to fix it
or
b) to swallow our pride and revert back to a working, stable driver.

We didn't do anyone any favors by pushing a crap driver. I know it's
all be done and said, but we should avoid doing it again.

I remember thinking that way... it's kind of amusing, but he is
making reasonable points. The expecation was that 11.1 would be
production quality, whereas we in this thread, all acknowledge that
there's a large number of unfixed bugs, in what was shipped.

10.3 had a longer release cycle 10 months, but it was in at least as
bad state, may be worse, as some of the problems were things like
intermitent faults with some network drivers, which would lead to very
strange and frustrating problems running applications. In a way,
refusing to boot, or obvious breakage saves you time :)

What we need, is to put a lot more effort into the user-friendliness
of factory. It should be easier to install, easier to upgrade to.
Easier to report bugs. It shouldn't be in inconsistent states so often
and we should be trying to keep it as stable as possible.

I've had no problems using Fedora's rawhide as a production desktop,
but I couldn't even consider the same thing with openSUSE's
development versions.