Re: [opensuse-project] Boxed editions slipping on release dates (3 weeks in some cases)
  • From: "Rob OpenSuSE" <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:13:42 +0000
2008/12/23 Stephan Binner <stbinner@xxxxxxx>:
On Tuesday 23 December 2008 17:16:54 N B Day wrote:

or even late in the cycle incorporating all the updates and even a dvd
or two with some of the main repositories? I know several people out

Same as with admin manual: we had that (iirc 10.3 had a second DVD with
full rest of openSUSE repo) and it was not appreciated (reviews, survey).

Now Stephan that is sad, you must feel like you cannot win. I see
these reviews, prob by tech's who write with nostalgia over the sets
with the manuals, and good source of info (still usable). So that's
provided, and then ppl gripe.

Without those type of in depth manuals, I struggle to find a reason to
have the media ordered, certainly not for 'stickers'. Yet in old
days, I'd subscribe to every release, even those I'd not install,
because of the priceless info in updates.

I could have downloaded, but I purchased anyway...

My experience with 10.3 (lots of buggy drivers in kernel) really puts
me off buying media of the initial release. 11.1 is better, and the
updates *fingers crossed* in the new year will sort out most of the
hardware issues (except for pata_pdc202xx_old) and I think most stuff
has workrounds, for the experienced installer. But 11.1 isn't
something I'd want to give to friends and relations.