Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Markus <kamikazow@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:45:25 +0100
Hi there.

I think that aiming for KDE 4.3 is a good goal for 11.2. After all, 11.1 just
misses KDE 4.2 by a few weeks and the majority of openSUSE users are KDE
users. It would be just fair not to miss a KDE release again.
There are also some KDE apps that AFAIK targeted to be ready by 4.3 (IIRC
Kdevelop 4 and KOffice 2).
I also don't think that 4.2+backports is a good idea. Backports result in
additional work that I prefer to see to be put into more pressing areas, like
finally bringing K3b to KDE4 (most of its code is untouched since months).

I would not delay 11.2 even further. It would bring openSUSE too close to
Ubuntu's October release which could result in less openSUSE press.

PS: When did KDE turn to five months of development instead of six? Around the
time when KDE 4.0 was released, I read a blog post that KDE switches to a
release cycle that's in "delayed sync" with GNOME. Now the roadmap states that
4.3 will be released five months after 4.2.