Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Dirk Müller <dmueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:18:44 +0100
On Monday 15 December 2008, JP Rosevear wrote:

I agree, I think its odd to make a lengthy 10 month schedule and then
not add on 2-4 weeks to grab the final version of GNOME.

final version? GNOME finally ceases to exist? ;)

I don't see the point, there will always be yet-another-release of major
software that we'll miss.

It would make more sense to spend time on incremental improvements of the
platform and not sync schedules with the latest desktop gimmick that only 50%
of the users use (be it KDE or GNOME or ..). Furthermore those parts are
exchangeable, one click and you have a buildservice repository that always
ships the latest shiniest KDE.

I don't understand why a shorter release cycle was dismissed, there was no
reason given? How about a release in ~ May, which includes kernel 2.6.28 and
gcc 4.4, and then a release around October/November for 11.3? These plans have
synergy effects: we can make use of a stable 2.6.28 kernel already for other
products, and we can make use of the testing of an intermediate 11.2 release
to make sure that 11.3 is stable enough to become synced with the Enterprise
Desktop SP1.

The openSUSE Build Service good infrastructure to provide the latest desktop
to the user. It does not provide good infrastructure to ship the latest
kernel/X.org/compiler, because those are not really leaf packages like the
desktop is.

Or does the openSUSE GNOME team really prefer to skip a completeGNOME release
because 11.2 would only be released autumn next year? And why does the
opinion of the GNOME team matter on the release cycle of a linux distribution?
Shouldn't we make sure that we ship a newer platform in time so that the
desktops can make use of platform features and test and prepare that in the
community, offloading all the "the stuff does not compile/work anymore" to the
development community?

And what are we doing when the other distros ship their spring release?

Greetings,
Dirk