Re: [opensuse-project] Novell internal programs on NON-OSS repository? (ie Novell Client)
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:13:15 +0100
On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 10:08 -0700, Joe Harmon wrote:
On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 10:04 +0100, Susanne Oberhauser wrote:
It does sound quite hopeless, tried in the past already. Seems that
the Novell Client for Linux is developed by the part of Novell that
doesn't care at all about openSUSE.

I don't agree with this statement. If we didn't care about openSUSE then
we wouldn't develop to it. And we ran into other issues with the kmp
method and putting novfs in the kernel was a benefit to us. I also don't
think the different release cycles are an issue.

Joe,

are you sure about this? the 2.0 beta client for example installs on a
11.1 beta system (I'm on beta 5) with some hurdles (some symlinking).
But the novfs for example simply can't compile (the client ships with
2.0.0-504, whereas in the kernel, 2.6.27.5 is 2.0.0-440).

I'm not sure yet if THAT is the reason that I can't write to any of my
netware volumes, but df shows them all having 0 bytes free... not a lot,
considering that at least some of the volumes are cluster resources on a
SAN and that the operational system is using those volumes for daily
business.

If I see that issuing bugs for the client actually has an effect
(besides be writing them and then nothing happening), I will gladly do
it. But at least from the past, it appears the NCL development is to
much behind closed doors.

Dominique