Re: [opensuse-project] Novell internal programs on NON-OSS repository? (ie Novell Client)
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:25:11 +0100

Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:12 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Note: novfs is now part of our kernel tree:
pm -qlp kernel-default-2.6.27.5-1.1.i586.rpm |grep novfs
/lib/modules/2.6.27.5-1-default/kernel/fs/novfs
/lib/modules/2.6.27.5-1-default/kernel/fs/novfs/novfs.ko

So, no need anymore for the kmp.

It IS part of the kernel, but (at least on my system... I did not update
yet to the 2.6.27.5 kernel) the version is older than what is shipped in
the 2.0 beta client (2.0.0-440 vs 2.0.0-504 from the client)

Ouch, so now it means that there is no way to upgrade the KMP as it will
conflict with the kernel package :(

IMHO it would be better to have it as a KMP that is always built against
the latest kernel in oss-updates, especially if the release cycles differ.

We could if they have the quality we need and get released at the right
time - and the last is one problem, we do not want to touch the official
repos after we released the goldmaster,

Why not just have them in a repository of their own ?
It would be non-oss, with EULA/disclaimer/copyright/whatever, but in its
own repository.

That might be a critical point, especially considering that for 10.3
there is still no 'releasable quality' available.

Is there something else that can be done in further improving this
state? (I have nothing against playing the bridge between two Novell
departments :) )

It does sound quite hopeless, tried in the past already.
Seems that the Novell Client for Linux is developed by the part of
Novell that doesn't care at all about openSUSE.

cheers
- --
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- I took the green pill