Re: [opensuse-project] End of life - what does it mean ?
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:41:11 +0200
Christian Boltz a écrit :

OK, I have to check some *.rpmnew or *.rpmorig files after the update

may be a central report with links to such file? I always wonder where files where modified and where there was none. knowing when the original file is backed up or when it's let alone and a sample file written is also not obvious, so the use of a central log

*.rpm* files usually appear if a config file was manually changed, which
means the user/admin hopefully knows what he is doing.

but may have done this in a hurry and forgot about that...

Network installation / update work, at least for me ;-)

remember I can't boot a cd :-(. I can only reinstall a fresh 10.2 system and start again... or boot a rescue system

one thing I don't understand: upgrade system say it must be done from booting a cd/dvd, but we can update kernels, so why? I can update and reboot.

I even had a copy of the system running in a chroot, so the websites
were available during the update ;-) (with a minor downtime for
rebooting, mounting everything and starting the services in the
chroot). [1]

?? an you chroot, install a new system (for example 11)? how?

I could install in virtualbox, but the power loss is high

That said: The easier way to go would be updating the running system.
Basically this means that "zypper dup" and its graphical variant (which
is now called "Factory update") should be officially supported for
distribution updates.

If I understand well, this is great!

[1] Some notes for people who want to do this:

do you mean you have this chrooted in an other partition?

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net