Re: [opensuse-project] From today's openSUSE board meeting: Who can vote for the openSUSE board?
  • From: "Francis Giannaros" <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:15:58 +0000
voter or to give access to the account to other persons in the terms of
service. Of course technically it's possible to do that, but if somebody is
trying to affect results of a vote this has to be done in such a massive way,
that it's probably not too hard to detect that and to deactivate fraudulent
accounts. I also don't think it's very likely that somebody tries to affect
elections this way, as without the backing by the community being in the
board isn't associated with any particular power or benefit.

As we discussed in the meeting, it's not clear at all that it's easy
to detect fraudulent accounts: it's pretty trivial to register several
accounts in the user directory and to cast a vote with those.

In this case we get quite a severely negative scenario, if someone can
skew the results of the election so easily (even if it's, say, 10
votes). So we're taking a big risk here -- and dangerously IMO -- if
you want to gamble on the idea that it's unlikely for _anyone_ from
_anywhere_ to have the idea of inappropriately skewing results.

At the moment I prefer the membership only method because it's the
simplest and is only really problematic in theory if the board is
corrupt and unfairly give out membership in order to further their
cause. In fact, this is pretty much the last premise I would ever
accept as a possibility in the argument. Perhaps making the membership
process even more transparent could help here, and I'd be willing to
listen to any ideas about that.

I prefer this to the third option mainly because of simplicity, and
I'm not totally opposed to it depending on its execution.

Kind thoughts,
--
Francis Giannaros http://francis.giannaros.org