[opensuse-project] From today's openSUSE board meeting: Who can vote for the openSUSE board?
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:28:08 +0100

We had tonight on the opensuse-project IRC channel a lifely discussion
about the board election. The central question was who can vote for the
openSUSE board. We haven't come to a real conclusion yet, see below for
some of the comments that were discussed. We'd like to continue the
discussion here on the mailing list and meet again in two weeks on the
openSUSE-project IRC channel.

I took the following notes trying to summarize the key points of the
discussion:

* Who can vote?
- every individual can only vote once, so nobody should be allowed
to fake several personalities and use them for voting

Suggestion: have a public list of voters to check that nobody is
listed twice. The list will be closed at a certain time.

- basically three different proposals:
+ only members
+ anyone
+ members + non-members members vouch for (web-of-trust alike)

The idea here is to have the openSUSE community vote for the
openSUSE board. The members are the smallest part of the
community that has been appointed by the board, a member is
somebody with a continued and substantial contribution to
openSUSE. Having just members excludes some parts of the
community. On the other hand, it makes fraud easier if everybody
is allowed to vote - including people that have nothing to do with
openSUSE and just show up to vote for their "friend".

* We should have an Election Committee that organizes the election.
The members of the Election Committee cannot be nominated for the
board, they have to oversee the election.

What are others doing?

Let's compare what other projects are doing, here's a first list of
URLs:
Debian: http://www.debian.org/vote/
Fedora: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Elections

Andreas