Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing the official openSUSE Forums
  • From: "Kim Groneman" <kgroneman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:22:03 -0600
I understand it is possible to force requirement of a login/pass for nntp
posting. That method could make moderation and spam fighting easier, no?

It is possible, but it's a manual process. The forums at
http://forums.novell.com has had almost 10,000 registrations since February
11th and the cost/beneft to handle that isn't there. The Novell forums have
been running with NNTP since 1994 and there is no significant problem with
moderation & spam fighting. NNTP posts have a user ID and an IP address and
can be handled almost as easily as a web forum post. Keep in mind we're not
talking about feeding USENET here. There is no tie in from the Novell NNTP
servers to USENET.

< Previous Next >
List Navigation