Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal: Create development information sharing blog for openSUSE activities
  • From: "Francis Giannaros" <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:25:38 +0000
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

We - Dirk, Duncan, Zonker, Stephan and myself - had some discussions the
last days and I would like to get your input on the following proposal.

Thanks,
Andreas

Problem:

Only very few developers working on openSUSE related projects share
with others what they are doing and why this is interesting. Blogging
is the current way to do this - but many developers understand under
blogging more than sharing work stuff.

Idea:

To lower the barrier for developers to share information (and setting
up their own blog at a free hoster), let's create a blog (proposed
name see below - for this text "the site") that everybody somehow
involved with openSUSE (both external community members and Novell
employees - this should be available for all formal "openSUSE members"
) could get an account for sharing technical aspects of the developers
work. We should create several categories or tags initially,
e.g. YaST, and ask that every blog entry is part of at least one
category so that e.g. all YaST blogs can be read together. It should
be easy for developers to add tags/categories to their posts.

In general I agree with Benji's comments on this. I like the idea but
a "Cool Blogs" kind of setup is counter-productive in my opinion (same
post posted in two places), but a "place for developers to easily
host/have their openSUSE blogs" is a nice idea. It could encourage
some developers to blog more. Think: http://kdedevelopers.org style
where people are also individually on the feed of Planet KDE.

I like lizards.opensuse.org too.

Kind thoughts,
--
Francis Giannaros http://francis.giannaros.org