Re: [opensuse-project] Getting Local User Groups off the ground
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:45:26 +0100
Søndag den 24. Februar 2008 23:10:19 skrev Kevin Dupuy:
On Feb 24, 2008, at 2:18 AM, Roger Whittaker wrote:
Only provided that it is done with great care, diplomacy and
sensitivity, so that it is clear that any new openSUSE local group is
not perceived as being set up in a way that detracts from or splits
from already established Linux User Groups.

Exactly. Which is why I'm treading lightly with this. However, other
distros, especially Ubuntu, has done this successfully.

Being a board member of a LUG (the old-fashioned distro agnostic kind) myself,
I'm not particularly pleased with the Ubuntu LoCos. I don't think this
fragmentation is good for LUGs, GNU/Linux promotion effort, or really
anything else for that matter. United we stand, divided we fall.

Hence I don't think local openSUSE LUGs are a particularly good idea. Also,
presently openSUSE has far less users than Ubuntu, and often also less
enthusiastic and active ones, so I have doubts whether it would be succesful
in many places at all.

However it might make sense to form some sort of national committees, to
ensure that special national circumstances are addressed by openSUSE. For
example in Denmark there are certain special services and things that "must"
work (as easily as possible) for openSUSE to be able to compete (national
television streaming, home banking java applets, national digital signature,
etc.). I guess other countries also have special national things
that "everyone" uses - maybe it's more complex for larger countries, dunno.