Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:34:00 +0100

Roger Whittaker wrote:
On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:59:38PM -0600, Rajko M. wrote:
[...]

It gives no additional rights, it doesn't make you school
representative in official sense, it is just plain "we (the openSUSE
community) like what you are doing and this is our way to say thank
you".

It does: it's been clearly stated that membership as defined means
that you "speak for the project". That's one of the concerns that I

It's not needed to "clearly state" that people with @opensuse.org
*somewhat* (other emails on this thread clarify what I meant, actually,
especially Gerald's) speak for the project. It's implied.

I mentioned that, and it wasn't an """official statement""" nor anything
of the likes. It's just that when, say, you send an email to someone
@debian.org using an @opensuse.org address, it automatically holds a bit
more in terms of openSUSE.org representation than sending from, say,
gmail or whatever else. I mean, that's obvious.

That being said, and as Gerald pointed out, no single person is able to
speak for the whole community -- I hope that's clear to everyone as
well. It also depends a lot on the context, the topic, etc.

I'm not going to go into more details unless really needed, this is just
really common sense and how it works implicitly. Explaining it in detail
does appear a bit ridiculous to me -- but if needed, I'll happily
explain what my understanding is, and how I meant that (then my
assumption would be wrong, which is quite possible ;)).

was trying to raise: what happens when someone who "speaks for the
project" gets out of line?

We (board) haven't discussed that up to now, nor has it been discussed
over here. Personally, I don't see much of an issue here.

First of all, it depends on how exactly that person would be "getting
out of line". Being rude once doesn't mean being kicked immediately. One
can always politely point to the Guiding Principles if it happens a bit
too frequently.

Taking measures is needed as a last resort, when such a person really
gets rude beyond what's excusable (e.g. racism, repeatedly insulting,
spamming, trolling, ...). Now when that happens (and I certainly hope it
won't), the first barrier is still and foremost the moderators of the
respective communication channels (mailing-list mods, IRC ops, forum
mods, ...). If the person still doesn't behave in a socially acceptable
way or repeatedly infringes the Guiding Principles he signed and hence
agreed to follow (which is a precondition for "membership"), then I
guess that the board could or should be contacted.
It doesn't have to be the board btw, we could also have a small
committee of people that would take care of it -- but then again, I
really don't think it will happen often, and the board will have enough
time and resources to take care of such things happening very occasionally.

Now, what measures?
Revoking the "membership" (and hence the @opensuse.org alias) is the
obvious action to take in such a situation. The respective moderators
(as outlined above) will already have taken measures to protect the
communication channel they're in charge of (i.e. ban from IRC,
unsubscribe+ban from mailing-list, block/remove account on web forums).
Those are pretty obvious to me (and hopefully to everyone else), whilst
indeed, they're
1) not discussed on this list
2) not discussed by the board
3) not written down anywhere
at this point.

This has the potential for causing a lot of trouble, and I would urge
the Board to think carefully now about how they will deal with it when
it happens.

While I understand and share your concerns, I don't think it has
"potential for causing a lot of trouble".

But if you have precise ideas and suggestions on how to handle that,
please let us know :)

cheers
- --
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>