Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:00:34 -0500
* Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx> [02-06-08 16:13]:
Am Dienstag, 5. Februar 2008 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
* the DVD5 does not have any non-oss software on it - this will
allow for a simplified EULA - the non-oss medium will continue
to have the old EULA then

Looks like Francis was the only one to actually read my status report
and it caused some discussion at the end of the IRC meeting.

So I would like to clarify some bits:
- we won't take the non-oss repo away and it will be easy to download
flash, acroread or your preferred application
- we will continue providing a non-oss addon CD with a stricter EULA
- we want to make the EULA _really_ simple in using only OSS, currently
the EULA (if you read it) forbids you to distribute copies of your
downloaded openSUSE - because of the non-oss software bundled

So the question is: do we (as project) want to set a sign in making it
a bit more difficult to install non-oss software or is the ease of use
preferred over a simply license? We're very open for your feedback, but
Michl, AJ and me as openSUSE management team would prefer to use open
source only on the default medium.

I think that this is a very reasonable and well considered approach.
You are not restricting or denying anything, only changing the method
of access. Completely acceptable.