Re: [opensuse-project] Code of Conduct: adopted!
  • From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:37:34 -0600
On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 00:01 +0000, Benji Weber wrote:
Could you clarify the ramifications of the code of conduct being
adopted. What does "adopted" mean here as no-one has signed this
document, presumably this is the outcome of a Board discussion to
which we are not privy.

Sure, no problem.

By "adopted" we mean that there is rough consensus that we need to have
a few rules of basic politeness, so the board decided to, well, "adopt"
those rules :)

Is it just a set of advice that is on the wiki like the mailing list
netiquete?

More or less, but this is for the whole openSUSE project. We also have
a way for people to report violations, and a body of people who can take
appropriate action: you can mail the board and the board will decide
what to do.

This whole "appropriate action" is intentionally left undefined, of
course, since these things need a case-by-case examination :) For
someone who abuses people on mailing lists it may be enough to moderate
them; for others we may need to do different things.

By the way, I hate the term "violations of the code"... it sounds as if
you were breaking an oath or the law or something. Think of it as
"people being un-nice to each other".

Is abiding by it a condition of membership?

If you mean "membership" in the terms of Francis's announcement of
"openSUSE Membership", then yes. We obviously can't grant someone the
mark of a distinguished member of the project if that person isn't
polite to the community at large :)

Is abiding by it a condition of use of the openSUSE services?

It depends, of course... you could be happy user of zypper and the
online update tools, even if you have no manners, because those tools
don't require inter-personal communication.

But for IRC and mailing lists, we expect standard politeness, nothing
more. Think of those places as being in the street or a nice cafe where
you may start conversations with strangers or people you already know.
If you start punching people in the face, someone will call a policeman
will drag you away :)

Are there penalties for not abiding by it? Is it enforced?

The code of conduct will be enforced on a case-by-case basis when people
report offenders [that's another word I hate...]. As mentioned above,
each medium where there's an offence really requires its own kind of
penalty.

Finally: don't be afraid! We are not "out to get people". We just
want to turn a rowdy wild-west saloon into a nice cafe with internet
connection :)

Federico