[opensuse-project] Code of Conduct: adopted!
  • From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:50:27 -0600
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who showed support for the proposed Code of Conduct!

http://en.opensuse.org/Code_of_Conduct

The idea is to follow some common-sense rules of politeness when
communicating in the various openSUSE forums: mailing lists, IRC
channels, web forums, Bugzilla, etc. These places have seen very rude
behavior in the past; what we want to do is to make openSUSE actually a
nice project in which to participate.

* "But newbies get annoying!"

That's because they are not used to asking questions appropriately. We
were all newbies at some point: we just saw that we had a problem with
our computer, and didn't really know what to ask or whom to contact.

We simply need to guide newbies so that they can ask the right
questions. This may involve making it easier to *find a way to ask the
right questions* --- do we need a basic "how to ask" guide for mailing
lists / etc? Maybe there already is one and it needs to be better
publicized :)

* "Experienced people have a right to get annoyed!"

Have you ever been walking down the street when somebody stops you to
ask, "excuse me, where's the post office?", and it's in front of them?
What did you do? You told them, "why, it's right there". You *didn't*
punch them in the face and tell them how dumb they are. openSUSE needs
to be polite in the same way.

Thanks to everyone who showed their support :)

Federico on behalf of the openSUSE Board