Re: [opensuse-project] One-click to IRC on 10.3: status ?
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:52:18 +0200
On Monday 30 July 2007 16:00, Pascal Bleser wrote:
A while ago, a few of us IRC folks have tried to push having a one-click
.desktop icon that would take users directly to #suse in 10.3

While the idea seems to be divisive amongst people, I would like to know
what the state of things is wrt that @Novell.

I've heard that Michl is against it, and given his position, I presume
that's a "no-no" veto.
Am I already known as master of "no-no" veto? :-)

If so, could someone (preferably Michl himself) explain the reasoning
behind it?
No reason behind it as we currently just created a first version of the
susegreeter. This new susegreeter will have an icon on the desktop and
bridges the distribution with the project. First version will be included to
Alpha 7 - see here a preview: http://ktown.kde.org/~binner/greeter.png

But correct, I'm not very much in favor putting an extra icon for
the "One-click to IRC" on the dekstop. Reasons for that:
- we try to minimize the number of icons on the desktop
- we believe to adress many of the "how to get in contact" questions with new
susegreeter
- simple icon without further explanation connecting direct to the server
might cause problems
- bear in mind we count serveral thousand installations a day and would invite
pretty many of them to #suse - could become crowded, couldn't it?

Afraid of people misbehaving ? We have ops.
Afraid of it getting "out of control" ? Make it clear that it is
"community support" and not an official Novell channel, and trust the
community.
Let's put it to the agenda for Wednesday's IRC meeting.

Being very much in favour of having that one-click-to-#suse thingy, I
would appreciate (to put it mildly) having some feedback and if it's
veto'd, I'd like to hear the reasons.

Thanks.

cheers

--
Michael Löffler, Product Management
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nuremberg