Re: [opensuse-project] Sponsoring for and on openSUSE
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:58:34 +0000

Michael Loeffler wrote:
> I asked in our last IRC meeting for your opinion on getting sponsors for
> openSUSE. To reach all of you I ask additionally on the mailinglist.
> We're currently looking for sponsors for the Build Service - hardware,
> bandwith and money. That's to increase performance and get broader backing
> for the whole project.
> The sponsors obviously want something back - presence. We'd like to offer them
> logo visibility at opensuse.org, build.opensuse.org and some high frequent
> pages like the downlaod pages. We'd reserve one place for a logo which is
> used randomley by all sponsors and won't be flashy, blinking images or
> similar. And we're talking only to companies in the IT environment.

So far, the openSUSE project has primarily been sponsored by Novell, and
Novell has the biggest influence on the whole project. If there were new
sponsors, wouldn't it be likely that they do not only want "presence"
but also some (whatever that might be) influence on the project or (at
least) the build service?

It might be seen as a good thing or a bad thing, I haven't made up my
mind about it yet. I am just curious how Novell plans to deal with this
subject (influence on the project, administration of the whole project,
etc.) in the future. If it's only about "presence", I can't see a problem.

Cheers, Th.