Re: [opensuse-project] Unnanswered questions regarcing Novell-Microsoft agreements
  • From: Ray David Whitmer <ray@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 11:44:36 -0700
houghi wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:44:29AM -0700, Ray David Whitmer wrote:
>
>> 1. How does one support Suse as a customer while avoiding and opposing
>> the per-seat false patent tax collected by Novell in behalf of Microsoft?
>>

> Wow, luckily the question is not biased. When did you stop beating your
> spouce/partner/mother?

If it is only the truth that is automatically biased against you, that
is sad, and sad that a straw man is all you can set up to answer it.

True or false:

Novell agreed to pay a fee to Microsoft for patent indemnification of
its users that is based upon the number of enterprise users who buy its
product?

How do I avoid supporting this sort of anti-free-software action?
>> 2. Can/will Novell still use its patents to protect open projects by
>> threatening to sue Microsoft to keep projects free as was pledged in the
>> past.
>>

> Unanswerd? This has been answerd before and the answer is yes.

Please, show me where you think it has been adequately answered. How
can Novell reconcile the apparently-conflicting pledges, as has been
brought up in many places?

>> 3. Not even Microsoft and Novell can contest the fact that they did
>>
> <snip more biased questions.>
> So when have you pretended to stop drowning kittens?
Since the announcements seemed to go on about what they had to do to
get around the GPL, it was clear they were doing what they could to get
around the clearly stated principles of the GPL. I had expected a
better response from the rank and file of your company because they have
generally not been the problem in the past blunders.

Do you think this sort of approach will cause the problem you have
created to go away?

Ray Whitmer
ray@xxxxxxxx